Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mini-Review Catch-Up

Things have been absolutely crazy, and again, while I have been going to movies, I haven't had the time or energy to write about each one.  Once May hits, things should get a little bit better.  Here are my mini-reviews:


The Lincoln Lawyer
A well told, entertaining legal thriller starring Matthew McConaughey, Marisa Tomei, Ryan Phillipe, and William H. Macy.  I liked it alot, but also felt I could see the same thing if I tuned into Law & Order.  There wasn't a single twist I didn't see coming, but again, I was entertaining.  Out of 10, I would give this a 6.5.

Limitless
Bradley Cooper, who got his start on one of my favorite shows of all-time, Alias, plays a man who discovers a pill that lets him live to his full potential.  The first half-hour of this movie is brilliant.  The rest is sloggish, and the ending is wrapped up so quickly I was ultimately unsatisfied.  It would score a 4.5 on my scale.

Battle LA
Finally, they've made a film for those who like explosions.  They didn't bog it down with plot, character development, good dialog - no, they just decided to blow a bunch of crap up and hope people would pay to see the destruction.  For me, this one joins Sanctum as one of the years very worst.  1.5 out of 10.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2
Maybe it's because I work in a library, and maybe it's because I think the book series is exceptional, but I found myself laughing far more than I expected to at this second outing with Greg Heffley, the middle school modern era Charlie Brown.  I loved the characters and the sequel greatly improved on the original.  I would give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Mars Needs Moms
And I wish they'd take this awful movie too.  2 out of 10.

Source Code
My early favorite movie of the year.  People keep comparing it to Inception but that's not really fair.  This terrorism, war game, Groundhog's Day, style thriller is original, fast-paced, and does what many movies fail to do (including Inception) - wrap up the story perfectly.  I loved it.  Great acting from Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, and the ever exceptional Vera Farmiga.  I've seen it twice already.  8.5 out of 10.

Hop
I was absolutely bored to death watching this never-ending story about the Easter bunny to be.  Little kids will like it (as did my mom), but I was definitely not their target audience.  It just made me appreciate Pixar all the more.  3 out of 10.

Alright, that's all for now!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you a lot, especially on the not so goodness of Battle: LA.
    Upon retrospect, my review was far too glowing. http://www.drewplaysdrums.com/2011/03/cliche-los-angeles-or-battle-cliche/

    And yeah, Source Code is freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does a movie that you have seen twice not get a higher score than 8.5?

    ReplyDelete