Monday, April 25, 2011

Movie Review: SCREAM 4

I remember the first movie that I watched behind my parents back.  I was 17.  Normally, I obeyed my folks, but I was totally frustrated with their super-strict ways, and I felt like a rebel popping in a VHS copy of the newly released Teaching Mrs. Tingle (oh, and did I mention it was only rated PG-13).  This movie changed my life.  Not because it was amazing, but because it's what first introduced me to crappy fun horror films.  Since then, I've watch dozens upon dozens of others, and none of them have topped the Scream trilogy.  When I heard they were making a fourth, I was excited.  Many of the familiar characters would be back (the surviving ones anyways - including heroine Sidney Prescott), and it's been a while since we the viewer have been to Woodsboro.  I was okay with them cashing in (or trying to as it turns out) because I liked the previous entries so much.

And boy what fun it is!  Not because it's an amazing cinematic achievement (not by a long shot), not because of the great acting (it's campy as heck), and not because of the new ground it's breaking (it's a total retread).  I loved it because I felt like I was back in my bedroom with the volume way down so nobody would hear, sneaking something new and forbidden, and I was having one heck of a good time.  The tension was high, the blood was everywhere, and I didn't see the twist coming.  I loved the way the direction had the characters going on and off screen, keeping the number of suspects at a maximum.  Alone in the theater, I was literally muttering "Oh it's gotta be her" and "It's him!  It's him!" only to have the people in question slaughtered in the next scene.  This is why I go to this type of film, and this is why I left happy.

Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, and David Arquette are a few returns to the series, while Hayden Panettiere (Heroes), Emma Roberts (It's Kind of a Funny Story), and a slew of other new potential victims add to the fun.  As I said, it's not amazing, but it's very fun.  If you don't like this type of movie, you shouldn't go.  But if you've missed the fun the Scream trilogy offered many years ago, this is a must see.  I would give it a 7 out of 10.

Family Take:  Um, if countless stabbings aren't enough for you, there is enough profanity to fill 100 R rated movies.

If You Like Scream 4 Try:  Try the original trilogy.  Actually, you really should see those first.

No comments:

Post a Comment