Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Movie Review: CHRONICLES OF NARNIA - VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER

An Enchanting Journey on Board the Dawn Treaderphoto © 2010 Walter Lim | more info (via: Wylio)Growing up, I wasn't allowed to read the Narnia books. Just about anything with magic was off-limits, despite the meaning. Since then, I haven't gone back to read the classic series. My only experience in the mythical land is through the new movie series. The third entry, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, follows a great first installment, and a good second chapter in the saga. I was looking forward to the third, hoping it would be able to keep pace with the other two. Sadly, for me, it didn't - but I didn't hate it.

Reviewing from a non-religious standpoint, the special effects and sets are really the pride of this film. The world of Narnia is brought to life so magically, I cannot imagine it done better - but again, I haven't read the books so maybe I am too easy to please. Where the problems start for me is with the characters. First, the character of Eustace, who I'm sure in the books was supposed to be a little brat, is so annoying he was almost unwatchable. The actor who played him, Will Poulter, was so stale and over-dramatic that I truly question him being cast in the role.

The story itself could have also used a lot more editing or a longer run time. They introduce so many characters but their stories are so mildly touched on - and they all had potential. They should have eliminated one or two, or just made the movie longer to fully develop them.

That being said, a "bad" day in Narnia is better than many other "good" days at the movies - it was nice to be back in this world, despite it's short comings. I would give it a 6 out of 10.

Family Take: It's a PG, but it's a strong PG. Themes of temptation and greed are explained very well, but the violence, while non-graphic, is quite intense. I would suggest this for ages 10 and up.

If You Like Voyage of the Dawn Treader Try: Try the first two in the series, or the Lord of the Rings series.

No comments:

Post a Comment