Friday, December 17, 2010

Movie Review: TANGLED

Tangled Meet-And-Greet Area in Fantasylandphoto © 2010 Loren Javier | more info (via: Wylio)Tangled is a very refreshing movie. While not geared at a 27-year old male by any means, the animated fantasy flick is good for all audiences because it relies on storytelling, and storytelling alone. The PG-rated take on the Rapunzel tale is fast-paced, fun, and as one other critic put it, doesn't throw in a lot of product placement for a cheap laugh here and there, which ultimately makes this a timeless movie. Those type don't come out that often.

Flynn Ryder is a thief who accidentally stumbles upon a tower deep in the woods. Guess who's there? Yup - Rapunzel, long hair and all, who as been unknowingly convinced by her evil "mother" that the world is a dangerous place. This "mother" is actually an old woman who uses Rapunzel's magical hair to stay young. The classic story, which I always found a little ridiculous, is told as well as it could be here, and I actually enjoyed most of it. I wasn't a big fan of the lackluster musical numbers, but again, I bet for 5-10 year-old girls, they fit the bill perfectly. From a critical standpoint, this may have lacked the emotional oomph of a Pixar film, but it's still worth seeing. I would give Tangled a 7.5 out of 10.

Family Take: I would give this PG rated film my full family blessing if not for a quite violent (relatively) stabbing near the end of the movie.

If You Like Tangled Try: Shrek takes the fairy-tale world and tears it apart, and I still love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment