Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Movie Review: ANOTHER YEAR

  Another Year - Nominated for the Golden Palm 2010
photo © 2010 Caspy2003 | more info (via: Wylio)



How long did it take to watch Mike Leigh's new film?  Another Year indeed.  My word this was a long, drawn out movie.  But that is getting ahead of things.  I am a Mike Leigh fan - not his number one fan, but I've liked a couple of his past films (Vera Drake, Happy-Go-Lucky) quite a bit.  His latest British film runs about two and a half hours long, and deals with older people.  Older people talking.  And talking.  And talking.  And talking.  Some of their conversations are touching and heartfelt, while much of the dialog could be overheard while sitting in a senior center.

Told in four parts, seasons, the film centers on three people.  A happily married couple, and a slightly past middle aged woman who looks younger than she is, but this blessing only masks how unhappy she is with where her life is.  Their stories often interact, as do the stories of smaller characters who come and go throughout the film.

One thing that bothered me about this movie is that a few of the minor stories aren't resolved.  Maybe it's supposed to be a critique on life or something, but I like a little more closure.  I know movies like this are well made, I can appreciate that.  But I should not feel the need to check my watch a dozen times.  I think an editor could have hacked an hour off this movie easily and it would have been much, much better.  There were some great parts, but they are buried by endless conversations about day to day things.  I don't need to buy a ticket to this - I hear it every day.  I do want to give a BIG shout out though to Lesley Manville who turns in one of the best performances of the year.

So while I don't hate this movie, I do wish it were shorter.  I would give it a 6 out of 10.

Parental Take:  This movie is really pretty clean.  No sex.  No violence.  A couple of swears.  But children would not want to watch it, I can assure you.

If You Like Another Year Try:  One of my favorite movies that deals with aging is Away From Her.  It has more of a plot and less filler.

No comments:

Post a Comment