Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Movie Review: SOMEWHERE

Somewherephoto © 2009 San Francisco Foghorn | more info (via: Wylio)
I want to tell you a story about Somewhere, the new movie directed by Sophia Coppola (Lost in Translation). About a week ago, my father and I went to a showing at a local theater.  We were the only two people there, despite the movie having only been out a few days.  When the movie ended, my father said something to the effect of "I cannot remember a time a hated a movie so much."  Which was funny, because I was left thinking "This was such a great movie."  Somewhere is bound to hit people different ways.  It's a different kind of film going experience, and I wouldn't suggest it for everyone.  Some movies tell a story simply and straight-forward.  Others, like Somewhere, really rely on things like symbolism and immense character development.  They present their ideas and thoughts in a completely unconventional way.  That's why I like Sophia Coppola, and that's why others might hate her.

The premise of the film revolves around one man, fictional actor Johnny Marco (Stephen Dorff), and his struggle to find meaning in life.  He spends most of his time either on the road promoting his movies, or at the Chateau Marmont hotel in LA.  There are scenes that seem endless - including the opening shot where the actor is driving around a race track....over, and over, and over, and yes, over.  My father said while only a minute in, he was about ready to yell at the screen.  This wasn't the only time this effective repetition was used.  These scenes were meant to put the viewer in the same state as our actor, but I'm sure many viewers will lose patience.  Eventually we meet Marco's daughter, played by Elle Fanning (Dakota's little sister).  The story moves slightly faster when she is introduced, but not much.   The two do a few things together, including going overseas to promote a film, and then the film ends.  I loved the ending, but I won't spoil it.

I would highly suggest seeing this very well made film, but again, remember, this isn't a normal movie.  While the movie site RottenTomatoes lists this film as FRESH (meaning at least 70% of critics liked it), only 49% of "real people" liked it.  It really is a coin toss.  But for me, I loved it.  I would give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Family Take:  Not suitable due to some nudity and profanity.

If You Like Somewhere Try:  This film is very similar to Lost in Translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment