Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Movie Review: THE AMERICAN

Photo by: KGC11/starmaxinc.com  2010  8/29/10 George Clooney at the 62nd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards. (Los Angeles, CA)  Photo via Newscom

There is a great film buried in George Clooney's latest The American. Around this great film though is about an hour of some of the slowest and most boring filmmaking I've seen in quite some time, so it truly makes sitting through the thing a chore. Add a horrible ending to that, and I can think of very few people to whom I would recommend this movie.

Clooney plays Jack/Edward/Mr. Butterfly, a mysterious man who works for some pretty intense folk. Is he a spy? An agent? An assassin? He has a secret, and those around him can tell - they just cannot tell what it is exactly. As I said just a moment ago, there is a great movie in here. Some of the scenes are excellent and full of suspense and action. It's just amazing how few of them there are, and how sad it is that if there were more of them, this could have been a great film.

When I read a book, I like it to move quickly. I don't need a dozen pages to explain what the grass looks like. If you are a lover of every bitter detail, you might actually like this movie more than I did. The cinematography is great (I feel like I am reviewing Eat, Pray, Love again!) and the acting is good. Ultimately though the number of times I checked my watch is proof that I wanted this to end, and that is never a good thing. I would give The American 4.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment