Sunday, September 5, 2010

Movie Review: MACHETE

I am rarely loyal to Hollywood figures. What I mean is that if I love an actor/actress or director, I don't automatically rush to their work. So when Robert Rodriguez released Machete, a movie that was teased at in a fake trailer during the Grindhouse experience, I wasn't sold despite loving some of his past work. This movie just looked like a Mexican version the awful The Expendables and I just wasn't in the mood. $6 movie mornings courtesy of AMC theaters makes what I want to see a lot more broad though, so I figured I would take my chances and maybe get a so-so film. Well, I was wrong. It wasn't so-so. It was so amazing.

Part Kill Bill, part Desperado, Machete is a thrill a minute, laugh a minute fun fest. Sure, it's got plenty of blood, guts (literally), and gore, and sure, there is a decent about of nudity, and yeah, there's profanity, but it's all done in a way that's campy and clever. I laughed more at this movie than I did at Dinner for Schmucks and it blows The Expendables away in the action department.

Danny Trejo stars as a man who has lost everything but his desire for revenge. When he is set up for an attempted assassination of a senator who is cracking down on illegal immigrants, he goes on the run and meets an interesting cast of characters in his quest for justice. Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, Cheech Marin, Steven Seagal, Don Johnson, Lindsay Lohan, and an award-worthy performance by Robert De Niro round out the strong cast.

I cannot suggest seeing this if you have a queasy stomach, can't stand some nudity, or just don't want to hear quite a few swears. But if you can put up with some adult content, this is one awesome action comedy. It's gritty, edgy, and if Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World hadn't come out, I would call this the best action movie of the summer. 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment