Monday, July 12, 2010

Movie Review: PREDATORS

Going into this sequel/redux of sorts, I decided to first watch the original Arnold Schwarzenegger version similarly titled Predator. I felt having this background knowledge would be helpful, though I am a firm believer that one should not have to do any prior research to enjoy a GOOD movie. I was glad I had some reference points before watching the new one - not because they proved crucial, but because prior to my viewing of these two editions in the popular series, I had totally misjudged what these movies were even about. I knew they had aliens and such, but I didn't know about their invisibility, weapons, and quest to collect human skulls. That's all you really need to know if you want to see the new one.

The movie opens with our "hero" of sorts, played by Adrien Brody, falling from the sky along with others. I won't reveal what each person does as a profession as that might ruin some of the fun, but let me just say that the premise is simple - bring tough people onto another planet and hunt them for sport.

This movie had about a million plot holes yet still remained fun. One of the things that I hated about another redux, Terminator Salvation, was that it was so one-note and left one feeling as if they were watching someone else play a video game. This movie is different as it has some impressive (if not all computerized) landscapes, fun battle sequences, and one of those endings that makes me reserve my overall judgement until the next one in the series comes out. Near the end, the movie does dive into "okay, I suspended my disbelief long enough and now I cannot believe how much you are insulting my intelligence" territory, which was a let down as this up until the end was a fun ride of a film. Overall, I would give this a 6.5 out of 10. And I would give the original a 7.5 out of 10.

On a side-note, this is an R rated film. Why in all heck did a parent choose to take their no-older than six year-old? As they sat in front of me, I had to bite my tongue almost as hard as when I saw a kid in the first Saw film. In this screening, the child seemed bothered (shocker), especially during one scene where one character's guts are ripped out of their body by a predator. I really hope that kid has one nightmare after another and screams non-stop. I want his father to have to get up and spend numerous hours comforting his child to the point where he realizes what an idiot he was to take his kid to a hard R movie. If you are a parent, and you take your young children to R rated movies, you are scum. You shouldn't be allowed to have kids - the emotional damage you do to them is astounding. I wish nothing but ill-will your way.

And that my friends concludes this post.

3 comments:

  1. So Dan, you should really tell us how you feel about kids seeing R rated movies.... I dont think you emphasized the point enough... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan. I love your movie reviews, but I thought you were a little harsh. While I do appreciate your strong opinions regarding movies, I think you went a little far in explaining your feelings. Granted, a parent should NEVER, EVER take their child to see a movie as violent and explicit as the "Predator" or "Saw" series, and their actions should be condemned, as it can cause long term psychological damage, but one shouldn't hope their child has nightmares or screams non-stop, which is the exact opposite of what you want. Would Jesus wish ill-will someone's way? I think we should be wishing them understanding and insight so they can realize the powerful negative impact these movies can have on children. As a fellow Christian, I know you'll understand. I think you're a good guy and I'm not saying that I'm right, just offering a different perspective on things. Maybe I'm wrong :) Hope to see more MMOMs and reviews! Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I will admit I was a little harsh - I just do believe parents will keep exposing their children to things if there is no reaction. Maybe instead of countless nightmares, maybe just one rough night of not being able to fall asleep right away. Sometimes my anger gets the best of me and my wording can sound just a bit over the top - the danger of context being lost by the written word. I'm sure if I were discussing it in person it would sound less drastic. Thanks for reading the reviews and be sure to add your own! Peace!

    ReplyDelete