Monday, June 7, 2010

The Best Ten Sports Movies Ever

There are some kinds of movies that I am tired of. Sports movies are one of them. Rarely is there a sports movie that isn't chock-full of clichés, by the book inspirational moments, and really one of two outcomes - a win or a loss. Even the "based on a true story" ones have been done in so many ways I have lost interest in seeing most of them. Every so often however a sports movie comes along that takes a different approach or like my number one selection, invented the moments that would go on to become the clichés in other sub-par films. And as a note, I did not include gambling movies on this list - as much as I would like to consider poker a sport, it is just as much a hobby/game so that will be a different list for a different day.

10) Death Race (2008)
Racing is a sport that I just don't get. Fans watch cars go 'round and 'round for a seemingly endless amount of loops until one person finishes first. Is it wrong of me to only enjoy the crashes? I guess that's why I found Death Race totally awesome. All of the cars are souped up with weapons, armor, and crashes (and destruction) are the main attraction. The end stakes elevate the win or lose scenario to where win = freedom and lose = death. It's far better and more interesting than it has any right to be.

9) Blades of Glory (2007)
You might not expect to see a figure skating movie on this list, but when you throw in Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler, two of my favorite funny people out there today, things start to make sense. Ferrell makes movies that are very hit or miss for me, but this one was extremely clever and funny. Throw in "that guy from Napoleon Dynamite", Jon Heder, and there are additional laughs. It's a very smart comedy, and slightly under appreciated.

8) Seabiscuit (2003)
This movie wins a spot on this list for having some of the best acting in a sports movie that I've ever seen. Tobey Maguire, William H. Macy, Jeff Bridges, and Chris Cooper lead the cast in a very compelling story of a horse that overcomes the odds. I loved the acting and like the movie.

7) Cool Runnings (1993)
I cannot believe I was only ten when I saw this movie, and maybe that's why I like it so much. Sometimes when you watch and love a movie when you're young, you can forgive it's stupidity and replace it with fond childhood memories. The tale of the first Jamaican bobsled team is fun and John Candy turns in a memorable performance.

6b) Miracle (2004)
Sorry, when I wrote this post originally, I accidentally left off a great hockey movie. I didn't forget The Mighty Ducks mind you. Miracle however is a great uplifting true story of the U.S. Olympic hockey team's battle against the Russians in 1980. I am not a hockey fan at all but enjoyed this film far more than I expected to!

6) Chariots of Fire (1981)
This movie has potential to move up on my list as it's totally worth a rewatch as I haven't seen it since I was really young. I remember it was a powerful message of faith, but honestly - the one thing everyone remembers about it is the score - maybe the most popular score of all time.

5) Fever Pitch (2005)
Any Boston Red Sox fan has to include this great comedy on their list. Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon play one of the most likable duos in recent years. Fallon plays a character who is totally obsessed with the best baseball team of all time. This devotion gets in the way of the duos relationship, and hilarity ensues. It's a must-see.

4) Jerry Maguire (1996)
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's inspiring and engaging, and truly makes you think. As a sports movie, it's good. As an overall drama, it's phenomenal. It tells the story of a sports agent (Tom Cruise) who has a midlife crisis. It's one of the most quotable movies ever - with lines like "Show me the money!" and "You had me at hello".

3) The Natural (1984)
This is one of those great character movies that where Robert Redford is phenomenal as Roy Hobbs, a baseball player who quickly becomes the thing legends are made of. I dare anyone not to be moved by one of the best endings of any movie ever. If you think you don't like sports movies at all, watch this - it might change your mind.

2) Hoosiers (1986)
If this had been the last sports ever made, I would have been okay with that. This is the definitive sports movie, and while it relies on the standard "will they" or "won't they" win device, it's both compelling and inspiring. I loved every minute of it, and Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper (RIP) are both excellent.

1) Rocky (1976)
I love this movie. Plain and simple. It's in my top ten of all time for all movies, and it's a classic. It makes me a little jealous that Stallone wrote this movie in one night and it ended up as good as it did! It's a boxing movie. It's a movie about setting goals and smashing them. It has a message of hope, a message of perseverance. If you consider yourself a movie fan you need to see this.

Okay, those are my picks. What are yours?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVEEE all of the Rocky movies (except for 5, which seriously just needs to not exist anymore lol) Have you ever seen We Are Marshall? That movie is special to me....It was filmed in my hometown (Huntington,WV) where I live now....if you havent watched it, you should...you'll get to see a lot of places where I hang out even now...only they've redone them in the movie to make them look the way that they did in the 70s ;) The story of the plane crash is something that has been a part of my life since I was little because of growing up here....there's always a ceremony at Marshall each year on the anniversary of the crash to honor those who lost their lives in it....So whether the movie itself is good, it's still special to me. I did enjoy it, though, and I think I would have even if it wasnt so personally relevant to me <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I like the new look of the site!

    Thanks for the thread. There's quite a mix of movies here, and I approached the list with the stories that might be seen in "real" life. Certainly, there are plenty of sports in movies that don't qualify, and I would agree with many of your choices that you've put forth for sports movies.

    "Rocky" (agreed number 5 was just a totally BAD choice) is one that is prominent in boxing. What about "Cinderella Man"?

    Even though I am totally a Red Sox fan, I didn't care for the story line of "Fever Pitch," I did like the essence of the craze for baseball and the impact on those involved as it relates to life. "A League of Their Own" is a movie that makes my baseball list.

    I tried hard to come up with a decent racing movie. One that came to mind was "Days of Thunder," but in my book, I'm not sure that one should really be even one for consideration. If we deviate into the science fiction realm, we can drag up Mad Max...

    "Facing the Giants", "Remember the Titans" and "Rudy" should be considered when discussing football movies. Albeit, they aren't the best filmography, in the case of "Facing the Giants," but the transcendent themes cannot be missed in any of these accounts.

    I'm thinking that "The Cutting Edge" should make the discussion for skating movies. I'm not familiar with "Blades of Glory" outside the trailers, so I cannot make a critical evaluation from the story line or thematic elements.

    One movie that surprised me surrounding basketball was the documentary "More Than a Game," but I have to agree that "Hoosiers" is always inspiring.

    The movie that is glaringly missed as related to hockey is "Miracle." This is TOTALLY moving and it will not get old for me. Take time to watch it.

    What about other sports movies that we've missed?

    Thanks for posing your list of movies! Keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy - I haven't seen it, I should check it out. I got your message on FB about it and now I will make a point to see it.

    Chem - First off, I agree completely about "Miracle", I love it. It was left off the list inadvertently. I actually had a file of sports movies that I was rating down one by one, and that one should have been on the list - in sixth position. I will be editing the post to reflect this. I tried to mix a variety of sports movies, and rate them on both cinematic merit, and pure entertainment. A movie like "Rocky" has both - whereas "Death Race" really relies just on thrills...well done, but still nowhere near as good as the tops on the list. I really want to see "More Than a Game" - I didn't get to that one yet. Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete