Friday, October 8, 2010

Movie Review: LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS - THE OWLS OF GA'HOOLE

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 24: (L-R) Essie Davis, Geoffrey Rush and associate producer Katrina Peers make the gesture of a flying owl at the Australian Premiere of 'Legends Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'hoole' at The Entertainment Quarter on September 24, 2010 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images)

Oh where to begin? I would not have seen this movie if not for two facts - my movie pass being the biggest factor of all. It's also from the same studio that produced the brilliant Happy Feet (it's great, no lie), and I am a sucker for 3D movies. So that's why my brother and I decided to see the absurdly titled Legend of the Guardians - The Owls of Ga'Hoole. I couldn't say the title without laughing, so when I ordered my tickets, I simply said "Two for the 'Owl Movie'."

I have written already how this has been one of the best years for animated films. Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon are among the years best films, while Despicable Me was a worthy cinematic diversion. The streak unfortunately ends though with the Owl Movie, as it's animation is tops, but story, pacing, and everything else just seem to fall flat.

When two owl brothers are kidnapped by evil owls, one goes the path of the good, and the other the path of the evil. A whole lot of nothing happens that leads up to a big fight and then the movie ends. That's really the impression I got. I did find it funny how the movie featured two songs from the music group Owl City - nice touch....one of the only nice touches.

The movie is really not for kids as the ads may suggest. There is way too much violence, even a swear word. If you thought the climax of Toy Story 3 was too much for a child to handle, this movie will shock you. It's so dark and depressing, I don't really know who the makers of the film were trying to target. I don't give it my blessing, that's for sure. I would give it a 4 out of 10.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this movie more than Happy Feet. We never did really agree on flicks, anyway, did we? It was dark at times. Is it not typical of good vs. evil, though? Animation was beautiful, but I did not see it in 3D. Parts were very close to the book series, but quite a few additions for flair, I guess. Big fan of Owl City, so the music added to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought the storytelling in Happy Feet was much better. Maybe having read the book series (which I haven't) you had a deeper appreciation for the overall story than someone new. For me though, it's a pass.

    ReplyDelete