Sunday, October 10, 2010

Movie Review: SECRETARIAT

Diane Lane, a cast member in the motion picture sports drama Secretariat , attends the premiere of the film at the El Capitan Theatre in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles on September 30, 2010.   UPI/Jim Ruymen Photo via Newscom
Another horse movie. Yippee (sarcasm)!!!! I like Diane Lane, I really do, despite not liking most of her movies. She is a good actress, and seems like a really nice person. In this movie though they make her look twenty years older than she is - but okay, she's acting - I guess. I also like John Malkovich a lot, he's hilarious most of the time. Maybe this movie would be passable? Well, it was, but it never really needed to be made in the first place, IMHO.

Secretariat was a horse that was incredible. The story of how this horse captured the attention of the country at the hands of an unlikely owner - a housewife played by Lane - is the movie in a nutshell. The movie is perfectly executed, but perfectly executed without adding anything to the horse movie genre. Yeah, Seabiscuit was a long time ago, but it was excellent, so we really didn't need this movie. That being said, if the trailer appeals to you, you'll probably really enjoy your time.

Overall I'm not sorry I saw this film, but I do hope they stop making these by the books sports movies. Yeah, I know, they are all based on true stories, but there are plenty of unique people out there whose stories could be told before giving us another movie like this. And I won't get into my opinion of horse racing in general. I'll leave it at my rating - I would give Secretariat a 6.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment