Monday, October 11, 2010

DVD Review: Frozen

PARK CITY, UT - JANUARY 24: The cast and crew of frozen speak during the 'Frozen' premiere during the 2010 Sundance Film Festival at Egyptian Theatre on January 24, 2010 in Park City, Utah. (Photo by Jemal Countess/Getty Images)

Frozen is a movie with an original premise - three college students try to make one last ski run before the ski resort closes for five days but due to a mix up, the ski lift stops half way up the mountain - and really high up off the ground. Frostbite, wolves (or coyotes), lack of provisions, and each other stand in their way of survival, and while premise is smarter than the execution, Frozen still proves to be an edge of your seat thriller.

I really liked that the movie was short - it managed to build up in tension and not draw out any scenes that weren't needed. While this could almost have worked better as an episode of some television show - the acting was just okay - on DVD this seemed to be a nice diversion from normal thrillers or horror movies. And while it doesn't exactly do for skiing what Jaws did for swimming, if I was to ever go skiing again, I'm sure I'd think about the movie again.

On a regional side of things, the movie was obviously set and shot in New England (**UPDATE -CORRECTION** - I looked it up and apparently the movie was shot in Utah...but it was set in New England), as references to Papa Gino's and Watchusett Mountain, and a sign for Newbury Comics were heard/seen. I have written before about my admiration for movies set in my area - not that I like them by default, but it's just nice to see and hear things I'm familiar with already. I would give Frozen a score of 7 out of 10. Rent it, you won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment