Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Movie Review: LET ME IN

LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 27: Actress Chloe Moretz arrives at the premiere of Overture's 'Let Me In' at Bruin Theatre on September 27, 2010 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for Overture)

I don't believe in vampires. I don't think many people really do. But if I was to be converted, I wouldn't expect my bloodsucking saints to be Abercrombie & Fitch model types as displayed in the Twilight Saga. Instead, I would expect vampires to be exactly like they are portrayed in the new movie Let Me In. Both a horror film and a psychological drama, this deeply effecting friendship story will shake you to your core.

The movie is based on a Swedish film called Let the Right One In and the novel of the same name. The American version which I'm reviewing here is set in the early 1980's - which was a brilliant idea as in an age of the internet and cell phones, this story wouldn't have been as realistic or plausible (as far as vampire stories can go anyways). Owen is a young boy with no friends. His parents are going through a divorce, and he is picked on at school. He is slowly sinking into a path that is reminiscent of a school shooter - with violence on his mind all the time. When a mysterious older man and young girl move in next door to Owen, he listens through the wall to learn who his new neighbors are. Outside he meets the young girl, Abby, who is strange, but a strange friend is better than no friend at all. Their relationship is the majority of the film, and it's an odd, exciting, and graphic thing to watch unfold.

I loved this movie, I really did, but it won't be for everyone. The violence is tasteful but frequent. A couple of the scenes are particularly hard to watch, but the violence always forwards the story. The pacing and the direction of the film are incredible, and I would highly suggest seeing it, even if you are like me and not a fan of vampires. I would give Let Me In an 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment