Saturday, August 14, 2010

Movie Review: EAT PRAY LOVE

There was a mentally challenged individual in my screening of Eat Pray Love. This individual was talking quite often out loud in the theater, which is normally a major pet-peeve of mine, but in this instance, I was forgiving as I knew they couldn't help it. Midway through the movie, they exclaimed in dismay "When is it going to end!?" I agreed with their sentiment completely.

The story is about Elizabeth Gilbert (Julia Roberts), a woman who chronicled her year-long vacation to three amazing places - Italy, India, and Bali. Where the movie doesn't disappoint is in it's cinematography of these amazing places. Watching this movie made me want to plan a vacation. Where the movie does trip up though is in character development - which is sloppy right from the get go. The filmmakers never truly convey why Gilbert leaves her husband who seems to be very devoted to her. Why she is able to attract a man half her age to fall deeply in love with her - and why she ditches him as well. I'm not ruining anything - these are things you can see in the trailer and things that happen within the first twenty minutes of the movie. There are some attempts at explaining through some very awkward flashbacks, but there is a point where I stopped caring.

The pacing is also abysmal. This movie made The Curious Case of Benjamin Button feel like a commercial. When the characters aren't developed well, and all you're left with is one scene after another of J.Ro eating, praying, and loving with people who you just don't care about, that cycle gets old pretty quick. I never took the time to read the book, but as I've said before, many great movies have been made from great books that I haven't read. Frankly though, this wasn't even a passable movie. I would give it a 4 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment