Monday, August 30, 2010

(TV) Movie Review: TEMPLE GRANDIN

If you had asked me two days ago, I couldn't even tell you what a 'temple grandin' was. Well, as it turns out, it's not an it, but a she - Temple Grandin is the name of one extraordinary woman, and Temple Grandin is the story of her life. Recently the film won the Emmy award for best film made for television, and Claire Danes won for her portrayal of the autistic title character and her struggle to get educated and make an impact on the world.

The movie jumps around quite a bit from one point in Temple's life to another. While at first the movie is loud, frenetic, and distracting, you quickly learn that the makers of the film are really trying to put you in the position of someone who suffers from autism. We follow Temple as she makes an impact on the cattle industry, her friends, and her family.

I don't normally like movies that are sappy - but this movie avoided that for the most part. It was a feel-good movie with brains, and that is so rare. Frankly, TV movies have such a negative stigma, that I wish this would have been released in theaters. I mean if Vampires Suck can make millions, shouldn't something as moving as this be able to? This is an HBO film, and it's also out on DVD. I would suggest taking the time to watch it. Temple Grandin earns a score of 8 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation, Dan! I think I'll watch it!

    ReplyDelete