Saturday, August 28, 2010

Movie Review: AVATAR 3D SPECIAL EDITION

I saw Avatar for the first time last year on Christmas Day. I saw it a second time during it's original release on an IMAX screen. Since then, the film has gone on to make more money than any movie in history. It won many awards for it's technical accomplishments, and set the standard for how a movie should be shot in the third dimension. In my opinion, the theater experience, 3D and all, makes the film one of the best cinematic experiences you're bound to sit through. And while I still have issues with the elements of the film's plot (lack of originality - it really is just an alien version of Dances with Wolves), when it re-hit theaters this weekend for a limited time with extra scenes, I decided I couldn't miss the chance to see the movie the way it truly was meant to be seen one last time. I went with a coworker (one of about nine people on earth who had never seen the movie), paid the inflated ticket price (ugh!) and went back to Pandora.

The extra footage added is all interesting to see, but it's understandable why James Cameron cut it in the first place. Most of the footage comes in very small segments - a visit to a school house, a hunting expedition, and an emotional death scene centering around one of the Na'vi. I cannot say you should buy a ticket to the re-release because of this extra footage, but I would suggest just seeing it because well, the days to this movie on the big screen in 3D are numbered. So my original grade of 8 out of 10 remains in tact. If you haven't seen it yet, on the big screen, consider this your second chance. Go. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment