Saturday, August 7, 2010

Movie Review: THE OTHER GUYS

Will Ferrell is a hit-or-miss type of guy with me. Some of his movies I have loved (Anchorman, Old School, Blades of Glory, Elf) while others I believe to be drastic comedic misfires (Step Brothers, Semi-Pro, Talladega Nights). I think he's probably the funniest guy working in show business (funniest overall is Tina Fey, hands down), but he doesn't always pick the best material. I still go to see all of his movies in hopes of finding a new great comedy.

My verdict in short - The Other Guys is Ferrell's best/funniest movie in years.

Ferrell plays a bumbling dork of a detective named Allen whose partner in fighting crime is Terry, the much tougher (on the surface) "bad cop" wannabe played by Mark Wahlberg. The two are "The Odd Couple" for our time, and play off of each other perfectly. Their banter is the best part of the movie - and they go at it often. There were never any outrageously funny moments, but the regular funny comes so rapid fire that you feel like you don't stop laughing from beginning to the very end (yes, stay through to the END of the credits). There is a back story about fighting corporate corruption but it really takes the back seat - as it should - to the comedy.

There are a few really nice surprises, including a part that every Red Sox fan needs to see - it's the most pro-Red Sox Nation movie since Fever Pitch, and all for one short scene which I won't spoil. This isn't as funny as Grown Ups in my opinion, but it's much funnier than last week's Dinner for Schmucks. I would give The Other Guys a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment