Saturday, August 14, 2010

Movie Review: SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD

If I had died with Eat Pray Love being the last movie I had seen in theaters, I would have had to kill myself. That being said, I rushed...okay, made my way to something else - something else I had been looking forward to more and for quite some time. That something else - Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

Michael Cera (my twin) stars as the title character who tries to win over new-girl-in-town Ramona but before they can be together, he must defeat her seven evil exes. The plot is really that simple, but definitely original. Styled like a video game movie in an alternate universe that's not that different from our own, SPVTW is seriously one of the most entertaining movies I've seen all year.

The movie is set in Toronto, Canada, and features a cast of characters to which maybe only one is over the age of 30, and they are only in it briefly. You really cannot compare this movie to anything else, but if I was forced to I would say it's like if Kill Bill was crossed with Dude, Where's My Car.

I've often said that one sign of a great movie is if when it ends I'm ready to watch it again. This is one of those movies. I complained about Eat Pray Love never seeming to end, whereas I will complain that this movie didn't go on long enough - I was totally caught up in this world. It won't be for everyone, and should definitely be avoided by those who have a headache going in, but if you want to see a totally entertaining movie that is unlike most everything else out there (which is a rarity these days), get a life and see this movie. I would give it an 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment