Friday, July 16, 2010

Anger Management

I am not reviewing the movie Anger Management with Adam Sandler (oh, what the heck, 6 out of 10), but what this post is meant for is an apology to you, the readers. The other day in my review of the movie Predators I addressed the issue of parents taking their kids to hard R movies, and said:
I really hope that kid has one nightmare after another and screams non-stop. I want his father to have to get up and spend numerous hours comforting his child to the point where he realizes what an idiot he was to take his kid to a hard R movie.
Now, while I am a big believer in not deleting previous posts as what I said was in the moment, I wanted to clarify my point in which quite a few of you have taken issue with. I have gotten private messages and a couple of comments from a number of you who believe that I was too harsh. That's fair. I reread my post a couple of times and noticed that in my anger I didn't choose the best words for the way I was feeling. While I stand by the fact that parents who take their kids to these movies are scum (or are making a scummy decision), I don't want the children to suffer any more than they have to. Maybe having trouble getting to sleep for a night? But even that might be a little mean. I just believe that if a little kid seems all happy-go-lucky after seeing these violent movies, their parents aren't going to object to taking them to one after another. With things like the next Saw movie being shot in 3D, and IMAX screens getting more and more popular, this graphic content is powerful stuff that should not be digested by young children (and arguably anybody.) At the library where I work, we don't make judgments - we let the parents worry about their kids. On my blog, a place where I can share my two cents, I will share my two freaking cents (or in this case, my whole weekly paycheck.) So while I don't wish harm on children, seriously, I do want there to be some consequence to a parent putting their child's childhood in jeopardy by parading dead bodies, sexual content, and endless profanity in front of them. What do you think? (You no longer have to sign in to comment - bring it!)

2 comments:

  1. Profanity, eh. Sexual content...anything too graphic and yeah, I'm not going to go for it. But violence? No way. I am totally against the concept of violent movies/games to begin with--why should harming someone be entertainment? If adults want to divulge, so be it, but I don't want to teach my child those kinds of values. Then again, I am so sensitive that I would not see one of those movies if you paid me, so I doubt you'd see my kid in that theatre any way :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Parents should find a baby-sitter if they want to see a movie like that. When I saw Transformers 2 (and it was only PG-13!) this girl brought in her 3 children that were all under the age of 5. The oldest was okay, but one was a toddler and one was an infant. The younger ones were TERRIFIED of the noise and the giant robots and screamed the whole time. The parents just ignored them!

    ReplyDelete