Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mess With Your Head

I love intelligent movies that mess with your head. If you've seen Inception (review below), you most likely spent a lot of time thinking about it afterwards, trying to put the pieces together. I love movies like that - when they are done well. I thought I would put together a list of puzzle films - not just movies with big twist endings, but ones that act out a puzzle just dying to be solved. If you have caught Inception fever, and want some more surprise a minute films, try one of the following (and I by no means am calling this a complete list - be sure to put your own additions in the comments section):

Memento (R) - If you haven't seen Memento, Christopher Nolan's first major puzzle flick, you can prepare yourself to be blown away.

Mulholland Drive (R) - I have written entire blog posts on this movie, which is in fact, the most twisted puzzle you'll ever face as a moviegoer. Don't miss it.

Identity (R) - It's cheesy, it's hokey, it's so much fun. It's like a Hitchcock film on crack, and I mean that as a compliment.

Before the Devil Knows Your Dead (R) - This layered movie pays homage to Memento while creating an original and compelling story about a robbery. It's terrific.

Funny Games (R) - There are two versions of this movie (one from Austria, one in English) that tell the same tale. A family is stalked by a duo of sadistic teenagers who just may or may not be something more, but whatever they are, they want to play some games.

The Spanish Prisoner (PG) - This one won't be for everyone, that's why I am listing it last. It feels like a stage play which can at times be a bad thing. That being said, it puts together a great puzzle with powerful finish.

All right, those are just a few of my ideas. What did I leave off....?

No comments:

Post a Comment