Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Guilty Pleasure Movies

A guilty pleasure, for a movie fan, is basically a movie that he or she knows is not well made or well acted or well constructed or all of thee above. A 'GP' is a movie that while so abhorrently awful on one level, is incredibly entertaining on another. It poses the question of what matters most when making a movie - entertaining the audience or putting out a by-the-book "good movie". The best movies do both, and "GP"'s certainly don't, but they are still worth watching.

Here are a few of my favorite movies that I probably should be ashamed to like (or love)!

Anaconda (1997) & Snakes on a Plane (2006)
There is something about snake-horror-movies, if that is a genre, that I find immensely entertaining. Snakes are the supervillian - I mean, Satan was portrayed in the Bible as a viper. They are low to the ground, shifty, and evoke fear more easily than any creature. Both of these movies throw plot out the window (although Anaconda at least tried) in exchange for awesome snake chase and kill sequences. I know they aren't "good movies", but I love them.

Deal (2008) & The Grand (2007)
If you know me you know I love movies and poker. So poker movies are, by default, amazing. For me. I know these two movies are really pretty awful, from the bad acting right up to the predictable finishes, these are in no way well made. Yet I really enjoyed both of them. I would watch these a second time before some Oscar winners - but honestly, these are just good if you like poker.

Fantastic Four (2005) & Daredevil (2003)
These two superhero movies were generally hated upon by movie snobs and critics. I disagree. These are two of the most FUN superhero movies. They may not be as well made as The Dark Knight or as visually stimulating as Avatar but they are both soooooo entertaining.

Recess: School's Out (2001) & Doug's 1st Movie (1999)
I love a good animated movie. Apparently, I also love a "bad" one or two. I would however defend, to the death, these two extremely smart movies that failed to find a following. I saw both of these in high school, and didn't find them lame. They are well written and amusing, and are better than a lot of the movies kids are being fed nowadays.

My Best Friend's Girl (2008) & Employee of the Month (2006)
I find Dane Cook hilarious, despite his questionable acting track record. While his stand-up comedy is what made him famous, and deservedly so, these two movies do a great job at capturing his humor. Critics hated these movies, but if you're a DC fan, you would not be let down.

What Happens in Vegas (2008) & Just Married (2003)
I am an Ashton Kutcher comedy fan. Like with Dane Cook, most of his movies aren't well received. I found these two movies hilarious, light, and not sappy in the least. And note - one of my all time favorite movies is Dude, Where's My Car, and it is not a guilty pleasure - it is one of the best movies ever made. SERIOUSLY!

All right, those are a bunch of mine. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I've got for now. Yours?

1 comment:

  1. Two of my 'Guilty Pleasure' movies include SILVER HAWK, an action movie featuring Michelle Yeoh, and TOUCHING WILD HORSES, a drama featuring Jane Seymour. Most people find these movies extremely boring, but I thoroughly enjoyed them! Keep up your movie reviews! They're great!

    ReplyDelete