Saturday, July 17, 2010

Movie Review: INCEPTION

Where do I begin?

Christopher Nolan is a genius. His first major piece of film-making, Memento, remains one of my all time favorite movies. The Dark Knight was also a very very good movie (I don't call it great though, but that's another post for another time). He knows how to construct a movie extremely well. In the instance of Inception, he takes what sounds kind of simple (and possibly pretentious) - dreaming - and turns it upside down. This movie is a layered puzzle that will take some serious effort to follow (the number of "I don't get it"'s I heard leaving the theater are case in point), but if you manage to keep up, the reward is great.

I am going to do everyone a favor and not discuss the plot. 1 - It would take forever. 2 - I'm not sure I could fully do it justice. And 3 - It will be so much more satisfying for you to unravel on your own. This is 150 minutes of extremely satisfying film-making that, in my opinion, only potentially falters in it's final seconds. That is a point though that will be discussed for years to come.

The cast is led by Leonardo DiCaprio along with Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, and Cillian Murphy. This is a movie that has best picture of the year written all over it. And while it isn't tops on my list for the year (Toy Story 3 by a hair), it's still an exceptional piece of summer movie going that is not to be missed. 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment