Monday, July 26, 2010

Movie Review: THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE

I am officially hooked! After The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I was eager to see the much anticipated sequel (based once again on the book) to find out the further exploits of hacker Lisbeth Salander and journalist Mikael Blomkvist. I can safely say that the cast and crew who did a brilliant job on the first film installment from the Millennium Trilogy did not drop the ball with the second.

**SPOILER WARNING - being that this is a sequel, if you haven't see the first film, there may be some minor spoilers about that film in this review.**

The Girl Who Played with Fire picks up right where Tattoo left off. Lisbeth is living in the high life with her newly acquired fortune. Mikael is back to work at Millennium. When a young journalist approaches Mikael and his staff with a story about police corruption in relation to human trafficking, that's when things begin rolling. When bodies begin to pile up, and Lisbeth gets framed for a triple murder, the movie explodes.

I will say that the first movie is better in how it created an extremely layered mystery story. The first film is more Hitchcock while the sequel is more Tarantino. This is a different type of mystery with an equally satisfying amount of suspense and intrigue. It still had me on the edge of my seat until the excellent finale which has more of a cliffhanger than the first film. I cannot wait to catch the third - I would give The Girl Who Played with Fire a score of 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment