Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A (Belated) Open Letter to the Academy

(I am 99.99% certain there is not one single Oscar voter who reads this blog. But on the slim off chance that the stars align, and one accidentally finds themselves on this page, this is my belated message to them.)

Dear Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Members,

I know that your selections for this year's Oscar nominees were due last Friday. I know you probably ignored all of the advice I should have sent you sooner. But that being said, I feel it's my duty to put it out there, just in case.


I hope you nominated Jacki Weaver for her brilliant turn in the Aussie gang flick Animal Kingdom. Not only was it a very good movie, but her role as the evil mother crept me out on the same level that Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) did in No Country for Old Men. While there were a bunch of great supporting actress turns this year, it was hers I most fear you'll leave off the list - and she should win.

Another performance you probably left off the

list was Noomi Rapace for her role in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and it's sequels. Talk about pressure! This woman took the beloved Lisbeth Salander character and brought it to life on screen - and even fans of the books loved her. She is the only one in my mind who can hold a candle to Natalie Portman in Black Swan who I'm sure you nominated.


I'm sure none of you saw Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World but you should have. It was incredible. If it were up to me, it would be nominated for best picture, best actor, best screenplay, best director, and best visual effects (and all those sound ones most people don't understand). I'm going to push you for a best adapted screenplay nod for Edgar Wright and company. Okay, Aaron Sorkin is going to win for The Social Network. That means there are four other slots you could have filled with creative choices, and this is one you should have made.


I really didn't like the movie All Good Things that much, but my word, Kirsten Dunst was incredible. It would be nice if you had honored her in the actress category, despite her not being as good as either Rapace or Portman. She still deserves the invitation to the party, so hopefully you extended it to her.


There is a rumor going around that 127 Hours won't make the cut of the top ten films nominated for best picture. Are you kidding me? I still am going to predict you will nominate it there, but don't falter. The movie was amazing! It was better than most of the ones you are expected to choose. I really liked The Town, True Grit, The Social Network, The Kids Are All Right, and wasn't overly crazy for The Fighter (aside from it's amazing acting by all involved), but one of those flicks can be left off to ensure Danny Boyle and crew get their due.


I feel like you definitely nominated Exit Through the Gift Shop for best documentary so be sure and vote for it to win. It's incredible. There are a lot of nasty rumors about it now, but just watch it and decide for yourself. I also think you should have nominated Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work but I already know it didn't make the shortlist of potential nominees. Right that wrong by giving this year's best non-fiction flick, Exit, the gold.


And finally, I know that you nominated Toy Story 3 for best picture, so now I call on you to vote for it to win. Think of it like the culmination of a great trilogy, because that's exactly what it is. It was the best reviewed movie of the year with 99% positive critical feedback according to Rottentomatoes.com. It reduced many a grown man, let alone everyone else, to tears in it's final scene. It's pitch perfect, and you like successful movies - it became the highest grossing animated film of all time (The Social Network didn't even pass 100 million here in the states). The crew deserves more than just the expected win for best animated feature - they deserve to be rewarded for all their hard work on the franchise.

That's it folks. I actually like (or love) most of the expected nominees, so good job in that regard. I'll be writing you again after I see what damage is done when the nominations are announced next Tuesday morning. Here are my predictions for the films you will all nominate for best picture (not that I agree with all of them).

  • Black Swan - Good choice, I loved it.
  • The Social Network - Liked it. You'll choose it to win, and I disagree with you there.
  • The Fighter - The acting should be recognized, but the film should be left off here.
  • The King's Speech - I found this movie fascinating, good pick.
  • Toy Story 3 - Adhere to my last point above and give it the gold!
  • 127 Hours - Fingers crossed. If this isn't chosen, look for The Town to get the slot.
  • Inception - When I first saw it, I thought at that time it would go all the way. Good choice.
  • True Grit - It was good, but nowhere near as good as I expected it to be.
  • The Kids Are All Right - A few scenes and messages were so muddled I wouldn't be sad if you didn't nominate here, but I think you will.
  • Winter's Bone - When I first saw it, I loved it. It lost a little something for me over time, but it's still worth mentioning here so I won't be upset with this selection.
All right, that's all I've got.

Peace,
Dan Barbour




No comments:

Post a Comment