Wednesday, January 26, 2011

OSCARS 2011: Ranking the BEST PICTURES

Each day leading up to the Oscars, I am going to post a new 'something' on this year's race.  Many of these posts will be ranking the different categories from best to worst (or best to still awesome but not as good as what's above ya!).  What I'm going to do is take who was nominated only, and reveal my order of just those nominees according to how I liked it/them/him/her (depending on the category).  I encourage you to do the same in the comments section.  I am going to start off big - ranking the ten best picture nominees with a quick comment on each.

Best Picture (I've seen all ten, half of them twice):

1.  Toy Story 3 - I loved it, plain and simple.

2.  127 Hours - It really connected with me - still can't shake it.

3.  The King's Speech - Moving story, great acting, top-notch on every level.

4.  Inception - Puzzling and odd in the best of ways.

5. Black Swan - One of the best horror movies in years.

6. Winter's Bone - It is this year's Precious.  A movie that has so much raw emotion it's hard to take, but hard not to admire.

7.  The Social Network - Overrated, but still very good.

8.  The Kids Are All Right -  There were moments of this movie that were exceptional.  And other moments that belonged on the Lifetime Women's Network.

9.  True Grit - Just okay for me.  There were a few great scenes, but a lot tired ones as well.

10.  The Fighter  - The movie deserved every acting nomination it collected, but as a whole, it offered nothing new to the boxing movie genre.  Right down to a musical workout montage.

So that's the big race.  This weekend I am going to make it to a few movies to help round out some of the other categories.  Happy movie watching!

1 comment:

  1. Just saw King's Speech last night. No, not the State of the Union. The movie, haha.

    But, wow! Incredible.

    I think that a film's strength can be measured in its ability to take a story that I didn't even really care to hear, and have me delighted and hanging on every word of it.

    You can quote me on that, haha.

    Still need to see Winter's Bone.

    ReplyDelete