Wednesday, January 12, 2011

DVD Review: JOAN RIVERS - A PIECE OF WORK

Joan Rivers at Musto's 25th Anniversaryphoto © 2010 David Shankbone | more info (via: Wylio)If you've ever wanted to be in the public spotlight as an entertainer, you might want to check out Joan Rivers - A Piece of Work, now on DVD. I didn't go see this movie in theaters as I didn't know much about Rivers outside of her appearance (and victory) on Celebrity Apprentice. I knew she was a comic who tilted the way of the vulgar, but what I didn't know was that behind the loud voice and endless plastic surgery, there is a human being who can be hurt just as easily as us "normal folk". And boy is she hurting.

The movie opens at one of Rivers' shows - she tells a few jokes, and frankly I was ready to turn the movie off. The jokes, in my opinion, weren't funny, but were disgusting. I didn't want to waste my time listening to such "filth", no matter how well it was filmed. I'm no prude but listening to a woman who could be my grandmother tell jokes about anal sex is just not my cup of tea. Then the movie took an abrupt shift, and we learn that the movie is going to follow one year in the life of the comedy icon Rivers. This is where the movie becomes immensely absorbing. We learn that as popular a name as Joan Rivers is, she has a real hard time finding work due to newer, fresher comediennes. We also learn that Rivers lives extravagantly, making finding work not just a way to pass the time or fuel fame, but to maintain her luxurious life of choice.

I really didn't expect much from this documentary, but went away very glad I saw it. I was very sad ultimately, that money and fame dictate this woman's life as much as they do - although her honesty about this is to be commended. Rivers' daughter Melissa made one of the best points in the movie - that stand-up comics all have a disorder that causes them to need approval of the masses. I know people like this - not celebrities - but those who aspire to be and continuously make fools of themselves. This movie made me understand them a little better. I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Parental Take: There is quite a bit of comedy material that is vulgar, not to mention children wouldn't really have any reason to watch this.

If You Like Joan Rivers - A Piece of Work Try: One of the best films of the year, Exit Through the Gift Shop tells the story of street art like and is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment