Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Five Thoughts About The Oscar Nominations

Academy Award Winnerphoto © 2009 Davidlohr Bueso | more info (via: Wylio)

If you want to see the entire list of Oscar nominations, CLICK HERE. These are my five thoughts about some surprises, snubs, and sighs of relief.

'Waiting For Superman' Left Out Completely
Most Oscar prognosticators, including myself, thought the documentary that would end up winning the Oscar would be the well made critique on the American public school system, Waiting For Superman.  Personally, I thought it was very good, but not as good as a few other documentaries.  The thing is though, everyone thought it was a shoe-in for at least a nomination.  This gives my favorite documentary of the year, Exit Through the Gift Shop, a real shot at winning, although I would say the front-runner now is Inside Job.  

Team Jacki Fans Celebrate
I am so happy that Jacki Weaver got the nod for best supporting actress for her riveting turn in Animal Kingdom.  The movie itself is very good, but her performance is the best acting in any category this year.  It's unfortunate she isn't a lock, but hopefully this nomination will get more people to see the film which isn't as popular as it should be.

'127 Hours' Bests 'The Town'
I don't mean to brag, but if you look back on this blog I correctly predicted every one of the best picture nominations.  I was so relieved that 127 Hours made the cut above The Town (and other possible contenders).  I really liked The Town a lot, but 127 Hours is the better movie by far, so I was very happy when it's name came up.

Nolan Snubbed Again
Christopher Nolan, in my mind, didn't deserve the nomination for The Dark Knight a couple of years ago.  He did however completely deserve to be nominated this year for his brilliant job constructing the puzzle that is Inception.  Oscar voters tend to be older, so maybe the movie was just too confusing for them to fully appreciate (although it was nominated for Best Picture).  I know that some of the older folk where I work were completely baffled, and in some cases turned off by the puzzler.  One day Martin...eh...Christopher, one day.

The Girl Without An Oscar Nomination
I would lie to say I was expecting Noomi Rapace of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo to get a nomination, but I hoped it would happen.  The trilogy was completely left out.  I don't understand all of the eligibility requirements and what-not, so maybe there was never even a chance.  It's a shame as she was incredible.  The two long-shots that did get recognition were Javier Bardem for Biutiful and John Hawkes for Winter's Bone.  

What were your thoughts??  You all have plenty of time to get movie watching and see the ones you've missed.  This my friends is the most wonderful time of the movie year!!!

1 comment:

  1. I too was completely baffled to not see Christopher Nolan on the Directors Nomination list

    ReplyDelete