Thursday, January 27, 2011

OSCARS 2011: Ranking the ACTORS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

These pictures are odd sometimes
solely because they are the only
royalty-free ones I can find on
the web!
Continuing with the rankings, I am going to move to from the Best Picture category to another category that I've seen all the movies related.  The Actors in a Supporting Role category is extremely strong this year.  The top two are easy (for me anyways), the rest are all very very good.  It really is just a two-way race though.  Here is how I would rank the five nominees.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role (I've seen all of the nominees):

1.  Geoffrey Rush for The King's Speech - I loved this part, and he played it perfectly.  And I am not normally a Rush fan.  He was truly a supporting character, which sometimes the winners/nominees in these categories aren't (see Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit, but we'll get to that later.)

2.  Christian Bale for The Fighter - His transformation into Dicky Eklund, the half-brother of boxer Mickey Ward, is scary-good.

3.  Jeremy Renner for The Town - In a different year, this performance might have gotten Renner the win.  He's excellent as a villainous bank robber.

4.  John Hawkes for Winter's Bone - I was so happy he got nominated.  He plays a great small part in WB as a lowlife who might actually have a heart.

5.  Mark Ruffalo for The Kids Are All Right -  I really like Ruffalo, and he was very good here.  Just not on the same level as the others.  I actually think Bill Murray for Get Low deserved a slot in this category.

All right, that's all for now - what are your thoughts on this race?

No comments:

Post a Comment