Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Movie Review: I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS

Okay, I don't want to come across homophobic here, but let me just say to the makers of the film I Love You Phillip Morris that it's 2011 - there are plenty of "gay" movies out there, you aren't breaking any ground. I saw this movie a week ago and my anger at it has not subsided. I was wondering if I would calm down and appreciate it more once time passed, but alas, no such luck. Based on the fascinating true story of a con-man Steven Russell (Jim Carrey) and his lover who he meets in prison (Ewan McGregor), this movie replaces interesting acts of escape for graphic and unneeded sexual scenes that aren't artistic, funny, or contributing to the overall story. When you have source material like this, I don't know how you can mess it up. In real life, Russell escaped prison over and over again, making a fool of the Texas prison system. It could have been fascinating, but it just wasn't. I found the acting from almost everyone, some of whom are normally excellent, forced and over the top. The pacing was terrible, and the end product was just a mess. I don't have a whole lot more to say about this one as I was kind of disgusted by it - not because of the themes, but because of how they were mistreated and exploited. I would give it a 2 out of 10 and leave it at that.

Family Take: No. There is one graphic scene of sexuality and plenty of profanity.

If You Like I Love You Phillip Morris Try: Catch Me If You Can is a much better modern heist movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment