Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Ideas: Wanted 2

Wanted, an action movie that came out a couple of years ago, is one of those movies that just did all of the right things an action thriller should. There was a fun (silly, yes, but still fun) back story, people with superpowers that were in no way geeky, amazing stunt work, and a cast of great actors (Morgan Freeman, Angelina Jolie, and led by the under appreciated James McAvoy). Mark Millar, the writer of the graphic novel on which the movie was based, has said he has a plan for a sequel. When Angelina Jolie said she was no longer interested in doing one, the studio lost faith in the project. Millar still insists he can make a good follow-up OR prequel (I would prefer a sequel), and I hope they give him the green light. Here is what I, an avid fan, would hope to happen in Wanted 2. And also who I would want cast in some new character roles. This is all for fun of course - nothing I say is based on "insider information", I'm just like you, a movie fan.

**SPOILER WARNING** If you haven't seen Wanted, you should - and you don't want to read further as I am discussing a sequel which means spoilers are ahead. Don't say I didn't warn you. That's me using my directionals.**

First off, the title should be Wanted 2 - not something lame like Wanted 2: Loom of Destiny or Wanted 2: Thread Count of Terror. I hate cheesy titles ala Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. That being said, Wanted 2 should pick up right where the first movie left off. Just about everyone is dead, which is a plus as you can start fresh. I think what could be fun is if the movie opens with a phone ringing and an African American woman (Angela Bassett) taking a call that her husband, a janitor/banker/garbage man - something pedestrian - has just been murdered. This person, the "victim", would of course be Sloan, who died right at the end of the first film. The wife, having been in on the fraternity the entire time and a corrupt member herself, would become the central villain for this installment. She would assemble a team of her dead husband's powerful friends from around the globe - think the anti-A team, to track down and take care of whoever killed her husband and reestablish her husband's murder for hire business.

While being hunted, Wesley would have a story going all his own. Having been pretty much the lone survivor from the first film, he would look to track down allies who could connect him with a very active team of assassins who are still playing by the rules. He would meet the gorgeous granddaughter of one of his contacts who would become a love interest. She would of course be played by Emmanuelle Chriqui. Her grandfather would be an older, wise man - maybe someone like Robert Redford. Both of these characters would remain loyal to Wesley - none of the "are they good" or "are they bad" games that were played in the first movie.

Mark Millar's graphic novel was far more fantasy based than the first movie. That was a good move on the filmmaker's part, but I think the sequel could get more bizarre for the sake of entertainment. Some critics (not me) criticized the whole "loom of fate" thing in the first one, calling it silly and ridiculous. While I thought it was fun, I would lean off of that in the sequel. I would create some parallel mythology that wouldn't rewrite what's already established, but coincide with it. I am not going to even speculate on what this would be.

Those are just a couple of ideas - have you seen the first one? What do you want to happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment