Saturday, June 26, 2010

Review from the Past: The Parent Trap (1961)

Today is my younger brother's 23rd birthday. Happy birthday to them! They are twins, which made it seem fitting that my post today feature the ultimate movie about twins, the original The Parent Trap from Disney.

This movie is one of the first live action movies that I remember liking as a kid. I know the first one was The Swiss Family Robinson, and I'm pretty sure this one came shortly thereafter. I have seen this movie many times since, and it's amazing how entertaining, original, and funny it remains for a viewer of any age. Haley Mills, who apparently has disappeared as of late, played both roles of sisters who were separated at birth, and discover each other at summer camp. They hatch a plan to switch places in hopes of forcing their parents to reunite and hopefully get back together.

There are some classic moments and consistently funny segments that make this one of the best family movies of all time. I would highly suggest if you haven't seen this to check it out. I would rate this 8.5 out of 10.

You may also be aware that they remade The Parent Trap in 1998 with a young, talented new actress by the name of Lindsay Lohan. The remake was good, and captured some of what made the original great, but was ultimately unnecessary. I wonder what ever happened to that Lohan girl? *Sarcasm* Or should I reveal that I am related to Lindsay Lohan distantly (non-blood thank goodness) - she is my step-grandfather's niece's daughter. I like that cushion, and it makes a good story in itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment