Tuesday, June 15, 2010

DVD Review: Youth in Revolt

During my appearance on "I Survived a Japanese Game Show", as well as from friends prior, numerous people have compared me to Michael Cera. I am not necessarily offended by this, but I am not jumping for joy. He doesn't exactly scream tough guy, action hero, ladies man, or many of the other more flattering comments for a twenty-something guy to receive. That being said, I have kept tabs on his career as most of his films are very enjoyable. Last winter, I went to see Youth in Revolt which releases today on DVD, and here is my review.

Youth in Revolt is the story of a young man who is just too nice for his own good. He's the type who doesn't get the girl - not because he doesn't want a girlfriend, but because he respects women. I felt I could totally relate to his character.

When he meets a beautiful girl who actually takes an interest in him, he realizes (through not-too-subtle hints) he won't be able to keep this relationship going unless he changes his persona...or creates a second one. This new, badder version of himself must contend with a resurfaced ex-boyfriend of the girl he now has his sights on. The result is spilt-personality chaos as it's most enjoyable.

I really loved this movie. It's rated R for a couple of very graphic (and frankly unnecessary) sexual moments, but when it's not being graphic (and I'm talking like a total of five minutes in the movie), it's really really sweet and good-natured. There are times in the film that are so entertaining it's the stuff best picture contenders are made of. I'm not saying this will win anything, but I'll remember it for a while for it's originality and hilarity. It's a nice movie with edge, and I would highly recommend checking it out. 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment