Sunday, June 13, 2010

Movie Review: The A-Team

There is this common rule among critics - even many at home critics like myself. The rule goes that going into a movie that is a remake or retelling, one should need no prior knowledge of the original source. One should be able to be entertained and learn about the characters as if it was the first time they were introducing themselves to the world. I mention this because I have never seen "The A-Team" television show in my entire life - it was before my time. I mean I've heard about Mr. T and "I pity the fool", but beyond that the show is a mystery to me. That being said, if the movie was like the show, I am in no rush to play catch-up.

There is about as much plot here as a Transformers movie. A group of four very different alpha-unit soldiers are framed for a crime they didn't commit, and must fight to clear their names. I know the show was around a long time ago, but I've seen this set up a million times before. Funny enough, just a few months ago I saw The Losers which was very similar, and slightly more entertaining.

There are some cool action sequences, but there are also a lot more run on ones that almost put me to sleep. I hate to say it, but last summer's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra was more entertaining. The A-Team's dialog wasn't nearly as clever or witty as the trailers suggested, and while you cannot expect complete logic in a film of this nature, there has to be some level of believability. There was almost none. You will laugh, you will be impressed at times, just not as much as you should. It's worth the price of a matinée, but don't spend the big bucks. In short, this was more "The Eh-Team" than "The A-Team", and I would give it a score of 5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment