Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Review from the Past: Nurse Betty

Movie: Nurse Betty

Genre: Comedy - Black/Dark

Year: 2000

Compare To: It's hard to compare this - I guess it's a hybrid of Drop Dead Gorgeous and The Truman Show

Neil LaBute's last movie, Death at a Funeral, was one that I found to be hilarious. Critics were completely split on that movie, but Nurse Betty however was met with great reviews. It's one of the most twisted comedies I've seen. It's really dark, really violent, really uncomfortable, but ultimately extremely smart and even more hilarious.

We meet Betty, a nurse who is emotionally abused by her husband (The Dark Knight's Aaron Eckhart) and escapes into the world of her favorite soap opera starring Dr. David Revell (Greg Kinnear). After a brutal twist involving a pair of hitmen (played hilariously by Morgan Freeman and Chris Rock) Nurse Betty hits the road to meet Dr. Revell - not quite realizing that he's only a tv star.

I think I've used the word hilarious too many times already, but I'm going to again - the results of Betty's journey are both heartfelt and....wait for it... HILARIOUS. If you like comedies and can handle some profanity and violence, check this movie out. You'll love it. I did - I would give it a 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment