Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Review from the Past: Away From Her


It's kind of ironic and I mean no disrespect when I say that Away From Her is an unforgettable film...and it's about Alzheimer's disease.

I've talked to people who are 75 and people who are 22 who all found this movie incredibly touching. It's a quietly devastating film that has now been included in many classes on how to cope when a loved one comes down with the terrible disease. Sometime's people watch a movie because they just want to relax and have a good time. I would not recommend Away From Her for that type of movie getaway. This is the type of movie one watches to better themselves. It gives you a window into a lifestyle many people are living every day of their lives. Julie Christie and Gordan Pinsent play a couple who are torn apart when the wife gets early onset Alzeimer's. Everything from selecting a care facility to simply forgetting the love they have for each other is depicted. Their performances and Sarah Polley's perfect direction make this movie excellent and oddly horrific.

I remember when I saw this movie in theaters for the first time. When the credits started to roll, everyone in the theater remained in their seats. Everyone was shook. If you want to have the same emotional experience, watch this movie, which I would rate 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment