Saturday, June 12, 2010

Movies That I've Never Seen: The Karate Kid

When I decided to do the "My Month of Movies" project - which was to watch a different movie from a different year every day in the month of May, it was primarily to catch up on those movies that slip through the cracks - the ones everyone has seen except for you. I watched some classics and newer films that I just never got around to. But even me, who watches a gazillion movies a year, still hasn't seen some classics. This weekend, a remake of the 80's movie "The Karate Kid" hits theaters, which reminds me that I haven't seen the original.

Growing up, my parents weren't keen on karate due to it's Chinese mysticism and fighting nature. I don't remember ever asking to watch the movie, because I just assumed the answer would have been "no." So now that I am fully capable of watching whatever I want, I just haven't gotten around to it. Full disclosure here - I should have seen it by now because I even own it! I bought it in a discount bin for $2.44 a couple of years ago at a store that was having a major clearance sale. As I write this blog post, the movie is literally six feet away from me!

A couple of posts ago I talked about my feelings on sports movies, but this one does look like it has potential. Maybe I'll give it a try soon so then if I like it, I can make it to the new one while it's still in theaters. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment