Monday, June 21, 2010

Peace, Love, and Movies

Last night my dad and I went to the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston to see James Taylor and Carole King. I really wasn't excited about the concert - not because I didn't like the two performers but more because I just didn't listen to either of them on a regular basis. I would have caught up with their music before going to the concert, but my dad got tickets just a matter of hours before and invited me on the spot. So heading into the concert, I figured I was just doing my "good son" duty for father's day, and hopefully the show would move quickly so I could get home and get to bed. The concert began and I was shocked at how many of the songs I knew - it was like one song after another that not only had I heard before, but actually liked. The whole concert was much better than I ever could have expected, despite some extremely annoying parent-aged fans. It got me thinking about movies that feature 60s music - not musicals - but movies about musicians.

My favorite movie in this specialized genre has got to be That Thing You Do! (pictured above, 9 out of 10)which was directed by Tom Hanks (who also has a supporting role in the film). Chronicling the rise and fall of a 60s band, The Wonders (or Oneders), the movie plays like both a documentary and a road film. Another great movie along these lines is Almost Famous (8.5 out of 10) which follows a young Rolling Stone reporter in his exploits in the era of drugs, sex, and rock and roll. I like these movies because they are set just a couple of decades before my time, and they seem so fascinating. Another movie I love that covers quite a bit of musical ground, including the 60s, is Mr. Holland's Opus (8.5 out of 10). I could have easily mentioned this movie yesterday in my post about the best movie fathers, as it showcases one man (Richard Dreyfuss) in his efforts to balance his love for all things music with his stressful family situation. It's such a touching film.

There have been some terrible movies in this category as well, but I'm going to stick to the positives. That's all I've got for now - peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment