Friday, June 18, 2010

Movie Review: TOY STORY 3

Toy Story 3 was my number one movie to see this summer. I've been looking forward to it since I heard making it was even a possibility. If the Celtics had not been playing in the finals last night, I would have attempted to see a midnight screening. I grew up with these characters, and love them. Watching the gang of plastic play things is a familiar and wonderful experience. I pretty much knew going into this movie I was going to love it - which may seem bias - but I don't care. I did love it - it's a worthy final (?) chapter in the Toy Story saga.

Before I dive into the review for the movie, let me just say that Pixar movies are accompanied with an animated short film before the feature film begins. I usually love these, but Day & Night, the short film that accompanies TS3, was a little too bizarre for me. I am betting from an animation standpoint it's a triumph, but it was nowhere near as good as the last couple of Pixar shorts have been. But we didn't come to see two nerd-candy looking people blob around on a big screen, we came for the toys.

The third adventure begins with Andy getting ready to go off to college. His mother gives him an ultimatum - he must either pack his things in the attic, throw them away, or donate them. When an accident sends the gang to a daycare center instead of the attic, many of the toys are excited at the prospect of being played with once again, as Andy has grown apart from them. Things at the daycare center aren't what they seem to be on the surface, and the happy toy filled movie soon channels The Great Escape.

Funny enough, you completely forget that the characters you are watching are toys. You really get invested in their well-being. One minor complaint about the movie from a strictly family film standpoint is that the movie is downright scary at times. There are a couple of creepy toys - including a baby doll and a musical monkey - which had a couple of kids in my screening pretty upset. There is also a dramatic finale that may be too intense for younger viewers. It's a great movie - just not a great one for too young a crowd. I would say 6 or 7 and up, depending on the kid.

The ending is so touching, as the ending to most Pixar movies are. I was moved. Part of me really hopes this is the last Toy Story movie they make because the way this one ends just seems perfect. The other part of me hopes there are a million more in the series as I don't think I could ever tire of this cast of characters. You need to see this movie. I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment