Saturday, June 26, 2010

Movie Review: KNIGHT & DAY

Oh what a mess. I wanted to love Knight & Day. For one, it stars a very likable duo in Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. Two, it's an action comedy - one of my favorite genres. And finally, three, some scenes were filmed just fifteen minutes from where I type. If you live in LA, that's nothing. When you live in Massachusetts, that's a pretty cool claim to fame. I was ready to love this movie. But alas, I cannot give it my overall approval.

The two leads meet in an airport, and through a sequence of events, end up on the run together. Are they both good? Are they both bad? Is one good? Is the other bad? What starts out as a fun spy-thriller evolves into an exercise in stupidity. I am a firm believer that a movie can be both fun and smart - a movie doesn't have to sacrifice one for the other. The plot deals with keeping an almighty battery out of the clutches of evil, but that takes the backseat to explosions, escapes, and gunfights. At about minute thirty, this movie stops worrying about what makes sense, and just throws the two into one stupid situation after the next - with the very end being the biggest offender (but I won't spoil anything.) We've seen everything in this movie before, and it's been done better.

Now, in the film's defense, it was very entertaining at times and I was never bored. While stupid and completely unoriginal, it was fun. This is a perfect candidate for a matinée - you'll feel a little shafted if you pay the big night time bucks, but it's worth $6 early in the day ticket price. That being said, I would rate Knight & Day 6 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you, Dan. I just saw this yesterday and I didn't expect it to blow me away or anything, but it kinda disappointed me.

    ReplyDelete