Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Review from the Past: Northfork

Since it's June, and My Month of Movies is over (for May 2010 anyways), I decided I'm going to keep this movie blog going. As you may have noticed, I already posted a review for this weekend's "Splice" thanks to a special advanced screening I was able to attend. I decided that in addition to posting new movie reviews, I'm going to send out some love to other movies that I rave about. So, with that being said, here's my first review from the past. Feel free to post your thoughts or reviews of your own.

Movie: Northfork

Genre: Drama

Year: 2003

Notable Cast: James Woods, Nick Nolte, Daryll Hannah

Compare To: A Prairie Home Companion

Northfork is a great movie, but it's not a movie for everyone. I remember the first time I saw it - it was at the now out of business Bijou Cinema in Worcester, Massachusetts. First, let me have a moment of silence for the great independent cinema that once resided in the also defunct Worcester Common Fashion Outlets. They had free popcorn, awkward but awesome seating, and a friendly staff. I miss it. It's exactly at a theater like that one should experience Northfork, but if you haven't seen it, settling for your living room is still fine.

The layered film is a fable of sorts, dealing with angels, lost hope, and progress. It's really hard to peg down, and one reason I love it is that it's so original. All I can really say that would make sense in review form is that there is a priest caring for a dying boy as men arrive to move them both out of town, along with a handful of others. Now I said at the beginning of this review that this isn't a movie for everyone. Some will find it mind numbingly boring, and I can understand that. But for those that have the patience to watch the story unfold, the end result is completely worth it. I highly suggest checking out Northfork. I would give it a 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment