Sunday, June 6, 2010

Movie That I Despise: Gran Torino

I dedicate this review to Tammy and Tara.

I want to start off by saying I know a number of people that love this movie. I want to also say I know a number of people who like "The Real Housewives" series, smoking, consuming large amounts of alcohol, and other things that are hazardous to one's health. Gran Torino is a despicable little movie that should never have been made. I truly despise it.

The pathetic little story is about a cranky old racist (played by Clint Eastwood) who lives in a home with his one true love, his car (a Gran Torino, get it). He pretty much hates everything else around him - and makes that vocally clear with his endless racist remarks. He is portrayed as this nasty neighbor who won't be of assistance in any way - he just wants to die alone, probably in his car. And then one day an Asian kid tries to steal his car, so what does this gun-in-hand man do about it? He befriends the kid. Yeah, that makes PERFECT sense.

This movie defies stupidity. They work so hard to make you think this racist man is horrible, but then without warning there is an about face transformation. I hated this type of thing in the movie John Q, and I hate it here. Clint Eastwood is a great actor, and that's part of the problem. He totally sells old creepy racist - he has a harder time selling friendly, family guy.

Aside from plot problems, which I could fill an entire blog with, not just one post, the acting outside of Eastwood is terrible. It's like they cast cardboard cutouts in all of the other roles to make Eastwood look better. There is a young priest character who is seriously the most miscast person in the history of film. The people that play the old man's family are so stale and over the top that you wonder if they are really Clint Eastwood's kids. The pacing of the movie is also tiring and skiddish. I kept waiting for more to happen. And I won't spoil anything (although I wouldn't really feel bad if I did) but the ending is just pathetic.

BUT WAIT, there's more! The final nail in the coffin was when the end credits start to roll (normally the best part in a movie I hate), Clint Eastwood decides to start singing. SINGING. Dude, you may be talented, but I can assure singing is not one of your skills. I would give this piece of crap movie a 2 out of 10. I truly hated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment