Monday, May 24, 2010

DAY TWENTY-FOUR - MAY 24 - 2003 - THE STATION AGENT

"Little Miss Sunshine", "Pieces of April", and most recently "City Island", are all films that I consider sweet. I hate that term, but I think it describes these indie films well. My selection for today was "The Station Agent", and it proudly joins that list of simple yet sweet films.

This is a very straight-foward relationship story about some very "boring" people. We meet a dwarf who hates people, a tall Latino who loves people, and a woman who is grieving and doesn't know if she should curl up into a ball or try and love people again. Their lives in a small town intersect so perfectly, this movie is a joy to watch. It made me think about my life and a whole lot of stuff I'm not getting into on this blog. That's sort of the small, quiet power of this little film.
I highly recommend this movie. For one, finally I chose a movie that was only 86 minutes! Two, it's really sweet. And three, it's only rated R for some scattered profanity - so if you can look past that there is no other distracting content from a cautious film-goers standpoint. I would give this movie an 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment