Sunday, May 23, 2010

DAY TWENTY-TWO - MAY 22 - 2001 - FROM HELL

First let me say that "From Hell" was not my original selection for the day. I didn't switch to this to avoid another foreign film (originally it was the Asian cinema hit "In the Mood for Love), but because I discovered my original selection was released in Asia in 2000 - NOT 2001 (like Yahoo! Movies listed). So that explanation out of the way, it's time to get to my thoughts on this Jack the Ripper movie.

Johnny Depp stars as Inspector Abberline, a detective in London who gets visions when he is under the influence of drugs and alcohol. These visions often are graphic depictions of murders that will occur in the near future, so he is a valuable asset to the local law enforcement. When Jack the Ripper begins his work killing prostitutes, the visions become the only tool in solving the case.

I enjoyed this movie somewhat, but let me warn that it's extremely graphic. I actually felt a little sick to my stomach at times. At first things start out just semi-graphic, but by the end they leave little to the imagination. For this story though, the violence was needed, so I won't deduct points for it. One funny sidenote is that John Merrick, aka The Elephant Man, makes an appearance in this movie - you may remember him from my first selection of this project, which was the movie "The Elephant Man", so it brought things full circle.

What I didn't care for in "From Hell" was how much Depp's character became attached to one of the prostitutes. They share little time together, and yet he seems devastated by the way things turn out. And the ending is annoying. All the other things I didn't like about this movie - if I was to justify it here - are things that would spoil plot points. So take my word for it, this movie gets a 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment