Tuesday, May 25, 2010

DAY TWENTY-FIVE - MAY 25 - 2004 - THE SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS MOVIE

Yes. I watched "The Spongebob Squarepants Movie." Don't make fun of me. For this project, I wanted to watch movies of all different genres, and animated has every right to be here. So I selected this as I had never seen it before and thought it might be funny. Oh my word.

I cannot bring logic to this movie. I mean, how can an underwater restaurant have a fire break out? How can these odd sea creatures fall off a cliff that's submerged by water? How can a bucket hat contain a mind-control device? What the heck is a sponge doing living in a pineapple under the sea? Gosh, the questions are endless.

So putting all of that aside, I decided to take the ten year-old version of me and review this movie. In that right, it's a hilarious laugh-a-minute ride that I want to take over and over. I would quote it to friends. I would put it on over and over again. I wouldn't understand who David Hasselhoff was, but I would laugh as he seemed funny I guess.

Now for the 26 year old review - terrible! I cannot believe how dumb this movie was. In an age of Pixar movies and Miyazaki movies, this crap has no place! But wait, maybe it does. Maybe it does exactly what it's supposed to and I have no business watching it in the first place. I mean, it's called "The Spongebob Squarepants Movie" - it's not trying to trick viewers into what it is. I don't know, it's a tough call as far as a review goes. I guess I'll take the 8 I would give it as a 10 year old, and the 2 I would give it now, and meet it in the middle at 5. Which may be way too generous, but I need to consider who they made this for, and it definitely wasn't me. 5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment