Wednesday, May 5, 2010

DAY FIVE - MAY 05 - 1984 - SPLASH

Okay, I'm going to just state a question that might be silly; am I asking a little too much to require some amount of logic in a movie about a man falling in love with a mystery woman who just happens to be a mermaid? "Splash" was not for me, plain and simple.

It starts out where we meet a fruit vendor (Tom Hanks) who thinks he is going to grow old and be alone. So far, I could identify. He travels to Cape Cod, a favorite childhood spot of his, to just think and be happy. Upon having a boating accident, he is rescued by a mermaid (Daryl Hannah) - but he doesn't know it (the audience does - I am not spoiling anything). Instead, he just thinks this creature is a woman (no fins when legs are dry! so fortunate!) from another country. I'm not going to spend another five paragraphs describing their many antics, but I just wasn't all that impressed.

On the positive side, there was one subplot with Eugene Levy's scientist character that I did find quite funny - how he goes around getting women wet by mistake in an attempt to prove that the mystery woman is in fact a mermaid. The chemistry between Hanks and Hannah was also very believable - it was just the story that didn't click. It's almost like the studio that made the film had all the right elements except for the script. I really wish they would have done something to set the story up more. I mean, why was this mermaid the only one walking on earth? Or was she? Where did she come from? How could the weird ending even happen?

I guess I'm a sucker for a story that makes some sense, even when we're talking about a fantasy/romantic comedy. I am a big Tom Hanks fan, and while this film wasn't a total waste, it just wasn't for me. 4 stars out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment