Monday, May 31, 2010

DAY THIRTY-ONE - MAY 31 - 2010 - PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME

With a title as annoying as "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time", I should have known trouble was ahead. The warning signs were all there. Video game adaptation. Ben Kingsley (sorry, but his track record of late is terrible.). And the fact that the movie media has covered more about Jake Gyllenhaal's physical transformation to play the role of Dastan opposed to any sort of plot point or positive review. So when the bright sun illuminated the movie screen, two long hours of sword-clashing, clunky dialog, and British accents (did they really speak that way....eh, that's the least of my worries) commenced.

I didn't expect this to be a good movie. For this project, my goal for the final day (gasp of relief) was to see the newest movie possible - my choices were either this, or "Sex in the City 2", and there was no way in h-e-double hockey sticks you'd catch me there. What I did expect however was to enjoy some of it. And well, I did. Just not as much as I had hoped for. Some of the stunt work is incredible. The sets were impressive. You know, this whole movie was like sitting at one of those Disney theme park shows - they are entertaining for a bit, but ultimately hollow. I mean, there is really no major story here. It boils down to this: there is this sword that has great power. Many people want it. Some will kill for it. It's basically like "Lord of the Rings" without any of the cool sets, smart dialog, and a whole lot more sand.

So with this being the very last review of this cycle of M.M.O.M. (more to come?!), this 'Prince' gets a not so royal score of 4 out of 10.

Stay tuned to this blog for the upcoming awards ceremony!

No comments:

Post a Comment