Monday, May 10, 2010

DAY TEN - MAY 10 - 1989 - SAY ANYTHING...

My favorite movie critic, Roger Ebert, called "Say Anything..." the best romantic comedy of all time. I would disagree ("When Harry Met Sally" tops my list) ...but frankly, he's not that far off. "Say Anything..." is a smart, touching, layered romance that is far less comedy than I was expecting. It's every bit as much a parent/child relationship story as it is a boy/girl one, and both stories are woven together so well.

One part of the movie features Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) - a caring, kind nobody. He has a crush on Diane Court (Ione Skye) - a smart, attractive somebody. Going out on a limb, Lloyd calls up Diane one day to see if she wants to go to a party. She accepts because Lloyd can make her laugh, and a relationship begins. In another storyline, Diane's father, played by John Mahoney, is a loving, devoted father with a big secret, but I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen the movie.

One of my biggest complaints about my film from yesterday, "Bull Durham", was that the characters weren't likable. In "Say Anything...", I really was rooting for a happy ending as I really liked all the characters. And while the ending was one I didn't expect, I loved it. And I loved this movie. On a sidenote, I thought seeing a very young Jeremy Piven (from one of my favorite shows, Entourage) was hilarious. Funny enough, I bought a bunch of the movies for this project during a great used DVD sale, but this was one I didn't buy - and it's one of the ones that I have liked the best. I would give "Say Anything..." 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment