Sunday, May 2, 2010

DAY TWO - MAY 02 - 1981 - THE CANNONBALL RUN


"The Cannonball Run" (rated PG) looks like it would be a movie I would love. A racing competition. A slew of popular people. Campy humor. My verdict however is far from complementary. I have a real problem and it's simple - this movie lost the race to make this type of movie first, and that superior film was "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." I didn't hate the movie - it does have some likable moments and some quirky characters. An additional problem is that not a single character seemed real. Now I know it's a comedy, and I should be forgiving, and I will be in my rating somewhat, but they really just needed to tone down the stupid. And the ending is completely flawed, but if I discussed it, it would spoil the movie. Let me just say the wrong team is declared the winner, and if you have half a brain you'll figure out what I'm talking about.

So on this second day, I give "The Cannonball Run" a score of 4 out of 10, with the biggest reward of watching the movie is that I can say I finally saw what many call a classic. Hopefully tomorrow will bode better. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment