Monday, May 24, 2010

DAY TWENTY-THREE - MAY 23 - 2002 - TALK TO HER

Pedro Almodovar is one of my favorite modern directors, yet one of his most popular movies is one I had not gotten around to. "Talk to Her' is a story about some of the weirdest relationships put to film, all of which are trumped by one of the weirdest segments of a movie that I have ever seen - but that's getting ahead of myself.

Two men meet when both of the women they love are put in the same hospital after both falling into comas for different reasons. One man is obsessive - having watched the woman he loved for a long time before her tragic car accident. The other man was in a relationship with his object of affection - but she didn't love him as much as he thought. It sounds like a very boring movie - but if it's anything, it's not boring.

Almodovar makes colorful films. He makes character studies. This was both. Personally, I liked "Volver" and "All About My Mother" more - so if you've never seen any of his films, start with one of those. That being said, I applaud this movie for it's originality. I won't ever forget it actually, due to one very disturbing scene. **CONTENT WARNING** The following is rated hard R - There is a scene where one of the two men talk about a silent film he has seen. It cuts away to black and white (which is odd for Almodovar in general) to depict the short film. Here is what happens in this film within a film. REMEMBER, I WARNED YOU. A scientist thinks he discovers a potion for great health, and takes it to the dismay of his assistant, a woman he loves. The potion actually causes him to shrink and shrink. He gets so small, that he is about an inch high. His assistant cares for him. She falls asleep, naked. The little guy pulls off her cover, and plays on her breasts. WARNING WARNING WARNING. This doesn't satisfy him, so he makes his way down south. They show EVERYTHING. He looks into, well, places, and decides he wants to crawl in. It's so disturbing. I cannot even begin to explain it in detail, but I was squinting in horror. Don't laugh, because it isn't funny.

That being said, I would give this movie a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment